Recipe Of The Week : Strawberry-Apple Sauce

Friday, February 1, 2013

After a frustrating trip to the grocery store this week I have been inspired and dedicating myself to make homemade snacks for Rylee. I'm tired of looking at the ingredients of things one would assume to be healthy and find it to be filled with a monstrosity of words I can't pronounce... aka gross unnecessary fillers. So I've taken it upon myself to make snacks that I know each and every one of the ingredients... it may not have as long a shelf life, but isn't that what the freezer is for!?

So this week I made a batch of Strawberry-Apple Sauce as well as some plain Apple Sauce. This snack is the best fall back when Rylee is having a picky food kind of day, I think if she had it her way she would eat it all day, everyday!

Strawberry-Apple Sauce
Approximately fifteen 2.5oz. servings
Shopping List:
1lb of Strawberries
3-4 Apples 
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice

Directions:
1. Peel and core apples and put in a pot of water. Bring to a boil until apples are soft.
2. While your waiting for the apples, hull the strawberries.
3. Add apples and strawberries and lemon juice to the food processor and puree until your desired consistency. (If you want it to be a thinner consistency you can add some of the water you boiled the apples in)
4. Divide into containers, I generally keep 3 servings in the fridge and freeze the remainder. 

*If you want to make just plain apple sauce, obviously omit the strawberries and throw in a dash of cinnamon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...