Market Debut!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A new season has begun, in more ways than one. The obvious being, Spring has sprung, and the not so obvious is that Owls & Monsters has made its debut into the real world. I am now officially an entrepreneur-stay-at-home mom!

Two weekends ago (March.30) was O&M's first of many appearances at the Salt Spring Island Saturday Market. It was an insane week prior to getting all the last minute prep work done and getting my amazing Mom to whip me up a stand (and by whip I mean spending hours and hours after her real job meeting all my picky ideas)...did i mention she's amazing? The night before the market I was up until the wee hours putting the final touches on everything... sometimes being a perfectionist really bites you in the butt (like when you have to get up early the next day). After a few good hours of sleep I was up, excited and nervous, and ready to start this new adventure as a business momma.

I couldn't have asked for a better day for my first market, the sun was out and the sky was blue, b-e-a-utiful! I got to the market around 8am, checked my name on the list of many other talented artisans, went and got a latte and muffin and waited for the much anticipated time my name would be called, better yet if it would be called. I think it was around 9:40 when they finally got to me, it was busy, and thank goodness I made my stand small because I don't think I would have made it in otherwise. I was squished between two big tents in a two and half foot spot, just enough room for my stand and my head! 

I made a few sales right off the bat, and few more as the morning progressed, which was encouraging. All day the market was streaming with people, but around lunchtime till I left my stand seemed deader than a doorknob, I had lookers but no takers. I tried to set my expectations low before the day but clearly that didn't work because by the end of the day my mood had changed and I was feeling more discouraged than anything. Since then I've tried to shake off the negative feelings and tried to look at the positives, like: I got into the market, it was a beautiful day, I had a great spot, my husband is my biggest cheerleader (I think he called me every hour just to see how I was doing :P), I had lots of friends and family come and visit and show their love and support, Thrive Lifestyle (a local store) is going to hold more O&M Accessories, and I learned a bigger spot will be much more beneficial in the future if its available.

So the first week was a bit bumpy but stay tuned, I will try and update each week as it happens, sharing my experiences as I learn and grow as business savvy momma. 


 Set up and Ready to go!
My inspiration behind it all, Rylee, came down with Sevio to give me lunch and cuddles.

Don't forget to follow us on facebook and twitter for photos and updates not posted on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...