DIY Baby Melon

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Over the weekend, I along with my sister and mother in law, organized my other sister in law's baby shower. It was an honour to get to bless her just before she embarks on one of the most amazing, exhausting, life changing, mind boggling experiences a woman can ever experience, motherhood. 

One of my favourite projects was creating a watermelon baby. I had been waiting almost two years to create this masterpiece that I originally saw floating around on pinterest and FINALLY someone I knew decided to have a baby... thanks Kaiti!

This lil' melon was a huge hit and surprisingly super easy! 


// Here's what you'll need //

Watermelon
Cantaloupe
2 Kiwi's or a lemon (for the wheels)
Blueberries (for the eyes)
Strawberries
A variety of fruit and berries
to fill the inside of the melon and decorate the plate
A large serving platter
Soother
Toothpicks

Total Prep Time: 1 and a half hrs.

Step 1. Cut the about 2/3's off the top of your watermelon.
Step 2. Scoop out the inside of the melon leaving a bit of the red around the edges.
Step 3. Cut your cantaloupe in half and remove the skin from one half. Depending on the size of your watermelon cut your half of cantaloupe to fit in the covered part of the watermelon. Hold it in place with toothpicks.
Step 4. Cut out matching sized pieces of cantaloupe for the baby's ears. Find similar sized blueberries for eyes. Attach them all with toothpicks.
Step 5. Cut out a hole to fit the soother.
Step 6. Cut your kiwi's in half and cut little pieces out of each half to create a wheel look. Or as an easier quicker alternative cut 4 slices of lemon.
Step 7. Stabalize your melon... this may be optional but with mine it needed a little support. So I wedged cherries all around the bottom to stop it from wobbling when touched.
Step 8. Fill your melon with assorted berries and fruit... I used cherries, blackberries, blueberries, canteloupe, and green grapes. You could obviously use watermelon too, I just didn't.
Step 9. Decorate your platter. I alternated grapes and blueberries and placed the kiwi wheels on top. And finished with sliced strawberries around the edges.

Here are some other little touches from the shower that I loved... the awesome twist on the traditional diaper cake... it was filled with beer for the dad to be. Yummy thirst quenching lemonade (a must for any summer party). And cute mini sized veggie and yogurt cups.

1 comment:

  1. That is some cuuuuute stuff!!
    I'm following you on bloglovin' from the Happy Kids, Inc. linkup. Gonna go find you on Google+ and all that too. Stop by my blog if you get a chance!!
    ZzzonkOwl.blogspot.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...