DIY : Peppermint + Lavender Shampoo

Monday, June 22, 2015

After completing my Mason Jar Shampoo Dispenser I went to work on filling it with my first attempt of making homemade shampoo. Since I have made it, I've used it three times over the course of a week and I'm pleased to say that so far I don't regret the decision of going all natural. 

Only with a week of testing my hair has phased well. After washing it feels fresh and clean and once dry it feels soft and shiny, and I've actually noticed less build up and/or dandruff. 

And with all things that you change in life, there are a few things to adjust to:

First: This concoction is very liquidy. With my first attempt at using it I squirted it into my hands and it was basically like holding water.... which we all know doesn't pan out so well. So since then I've just squirted it directly on my head, not the norm but less waste. 

Second: It leaves my hair extra tangled, which maybe I just need to make up a conditioner/rinse to help combat this issue or maybe in time as my hair adjusts to being chemical free it will soften up... I'll give it some time and post an update.


Ingredients:
<The original recipe I found here.>

1/2 Cup Dr.Bronners Unscented Baby Mild Castile Soap 
1 1/2 Cups Distilled Water
3 Tsp Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
3 drops Rocky Mountain Lavender Essential Oil
1 Drop Rocky Mountain Peppermint Essential Oil

Directions:
Liquify your coconut oil, on your stovetop or 20 to 30 seconds in the microwave.

Combine all ingredients into your mason jar and give it a good shake. Replace regular lid with your soap dispenser and voila you've got yourself some new shampoo! 

*The only thing I think I will change with this recipe is to add a bit more essential oils, as it stands I can't smell the lavender or peppermint and I would like my hair to have some sort of scent to it. When I buy more castile soap I'll try out one of the scented ones and see if that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...